Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia, Valencia, Spain.
Welcome to Valencia’s odd opera house, standing in the midst of the modernist complex of La Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias (the City of Arts and Sciences) – the exact opposite of Vienna’s very traditional opera house. Opening in 2006 and rising 75 meters off the ground, it is the tallest opera house in the world, and certainly one of the strangest. Resembling a strange-looking space helmet, or perhaps a scurrying beetle, it is indeed a unique and unforgettable place to see a ballet, opera, dance, theatre or concert! Even if the opera doesn’t interest you, a mere walk through the whole complex will yield breath-taking results.
Discover More Modernist or Futurist Architecture in Europe
- Hundredwasser House, Vienna
- Gaudi’s Casa Mila in Barcelona, Spain
- Gaudi’s Casa Batllo in Barcelona, Spain
- Flower Tree in Lyon, France
- Warsaw National Stadium in Warsaw, Poland
- Bilbao’s Guggenheim Museum in Spain